Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Cracker Barrel Gift Card for a Friend

04/27/2008

Sandy, a good friend of mine at work at BNSF Railway (yes, I'm an old railroad guy) has been sick, and in pain. She has been sick enough, that she has missed an incredible amount of work. We have a lot in common. Sandy is a Texas Tech supporter as her son went there, and her son is adopted like our boys, and she lives in Aledo.

So Kristi and I decided to get her a "Get Well" card and send it to her. While I was in the grocery store picking out a card, I noticed a rack of Gift Cards from 100 different restaurants and stores. So I thought to myself, "Why not get her a restaurant gift card, so that she won't have to cook for a couple of nights, and can relax." She is in a lot of pain, so I thought that this may ease her suffering just a little. So I scanned through the 100s or cards and decided on a Cracker Barrel Gift Card. I like Cracker Barrel, and I thought that she would too. It is a comfortable and relaxing place, and they have excellent food.

So, I get home and write a note to Sandy, and put in the card and drive over to her house and put it in her mailbox. I felt good about what I had just done.

So you're probably asking yourself, "Cris, this is Jessie's Blog, not yours. What does this have to do with Jessie?" And you are right, but this is the best story that I have so far, and I saved it for last.

The next day, I was talking to Robin Seay, the principal at Stuard, and she began to tell me about Cracker Barrel donating a bubble machine for a special day that was planned for Jessie. In addition, a neighbor named Caren Jennings told Kristi that she needed to contact Cracker Barrel about an event that Michelle Bartee at Cracker Barrel was planning for Jessie.

So Kristi called, and Michelle told her that Cracker Barrel was planning a two-day carnival for Jessie. She said that there would be a pink castle, snow cones, cake walk, face-painting, car-wash and a bake sale. All to benefit the Jessie Hall Fund. A bounce house for the kids, and that Dallas Fort-Worth television would be there to cover the event. They plan to run the carnival all day both Saturday and Sunday, May 3rd and 4th.

Needless to say, Kristi and I were blown-away by this act of kindness and love for our daughter. Cracker Barrel, Michelle Bartee, and Caren Jennings didn't know Jessie. They just heard about a little girl in trouble and wanted to help. Cracker Barrel Old Country Stores, Inc. is a large corporation, and Michelle Bartee should be commended for breaking through the barriers and supporting our community. Thanks Michelle. Cracker Barrel will forever be a part of our lives, and Jessie's life. Thanks Cracker Barrel.

So get ready for a PINK CARNIVAL in Weatherford!!! The local radio station has been pumping it up, and it promises to be a good time for all. I hope that we see you there!!

We are so blessed to have companies like this in our community, and I am so glad that I stopped to buy a Cracker Barrel Gift card for a sick friend.

Coincidence? I don't think so!

Our love to all of you and our thanks for reading Jessie's story. Each time we hear about someone new reading her story, and being touched in some way by her journey, we believe more and more that God has a special plan for her and we are so thankful that you are sharing it with us. Jessie may be only 6 years old, but she has already touched more lives for the better, than I could ever hope to.

God Bless all of you reading this and those in your life that need a prayer. We are praying for all of you.

Kristi, Cris, Matt, Jake, Josh, and Jessie

3 comments:

mominaledo said...

We're looking forward to the carnival! I'm glad I received an e-mail with the link to your blog. My son, Morgan, rides the bus with Morgan. We live across the street from the Uhl family - Travis is friends with Jake and Josh. On a golf cart ride not too long ago (before I knew Jessie was THE Jessie) the kids were out front giving away free jelly beans...and Jessie gave my 3 yr old daugter, Sarah, a "diamond" rock. She loves it! Hope to meet you guys! The Huhtanen Family - Carrie, Jeff, Morgan and Sarah

Jessie said...

Stop by anytime. We're almost always around. We'd love to meet you as well.

Bev & Pete said...

You need to write to Guidepost and tell this little story for their "His Mysterious Ways" piece!

We are also excited about going to the carnival!!!
The Dinh's